About Mummy & Blogger Babies

My photo

Blogger Babies and Mummy believe in sharing resources and ideas to enable the best possible care and support of our vulnerable.

To Donate to The Edith Ellen Foundation

Sunday, 15 January 2017

Where can relatives of people with dementia go for advice and support?

Caring for and supporting someone with dementia can be upsetting, it can be stressful and it can be incredibly hard-work, however it can also be very rewarding.  Seeking and getting support will make it easier for you to cope and, ultimately, that will be better for you and the person you care for.

This support can become gradually more demanding both physically and emotionally and this can take a real toll.

There are also now an abundance of online discussion forums – these can be a helpful source of support at any time. You can talk online with other people who are going through similar experiences to seek advice and share practical suggestions.

Practical support can be found in many places

Support workers – many voluntary organisations have trained dementia support workers who can provide practical information, guidance and support about caring for someone with dementia. They can offer home visits or support over the phone

Support groups – local carers’ support groups give you a chance to chat to others going through similar experiences. You can share practical tips and get emotional support. Ask your memory service or your local Alzheimer’s Society about groups in your area

Friends and family – where possible, try and involve family members and friends to help share responsibilities. This will help take the pressure off you a little

National Dementia Helpline (0300 222 1122) – trained advisers can support you, provide information and refer you to other sources of support.

The Edith Ellen Foundation also offers a full service of support and guidance, we work in partnerships so will always be able to find the right support for your situation.

Post a Comment