About Mummy & Blogger Babies

My photo

Blogger Babies and Mummy believe in sharing resources and ideas to enable the best possible care and support of our vulnerable.

To Donate to The Edith Ellen Foundation

Wednesday, 10 August 2016

Care home owner 'shocked and saddened' after resident dies swallowing bleach tablet

Sharing a post from Care Home UK

http://www.carehome.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1577825/Care-home-owner-shocked-and-saddened-after-resident-dies-swallowing-bleach-tablet


An investigation is underway into the death of a man who swallowed a bleach tablet at his nursing home.

Balmoral Court Care Home in Byker, Newcastle Credit: Crown Court Group

 
The Balmoral Court Care Home resident was rushed to hospital but died, after ingesting the toxic cleaning chemical at the home in Byker, Newcastle on Thursday 4, August. 

Balmoral Court, which is owned by Crown Care, specialises in the care of older people with dementia. 

A spokesman for the home said: “We are very sad to confirm one of our residents at Balmoral Court has died in hospital after an incident at the home. 

“A full investigation is under way and we are liaising closely with the family and the appropriate authorities. 

“Until that investigation is complete it would be inappropriate to comment further other than to say we are deeply shocked and saddened by this incident. 

“We send our sincere condolences to the family.” 

The nursing home’s latest inspection report from the Care Quality Commission (CQC), published in March, gave the home an overall rating of ‘Requires improvement’ when CQC inspectors made an unannounced inspection last December. 

CQC inspectors said in the report: “All reasonable steps had not been taken to reduce risks and make sure that people’s care was provided in a safe and hygienic environment.” 

The CQC report also said staff were “mindful of keeping potentially harmful cleaning chemicals safe and locked away when not in use”.
Post a Comment