Friday 28 July 2017

Coping with MCI – A personal journey



MCIThis blog, was mainly created to enable me to vent some of my personal frustrations with my MCI.  However, it has turned into a spot whereby I feel I could actually help another human by sharing some of my own journey.

MCI, is frustrating.  Simple as that.  But to be able to cope with those frustrations is probably half the battle.

I’ve listed here a number of techniques/suggestions to help compensate for any memory decline that interferes with your enjoyment of life, your effectiveness at work, relationships and to help support your personal goals for the future.

I’ve tried most of them as well and they do work, those I found to help me better I’ve highlighted but in honesty it’s really the mix that works, not one element.

·         Be patient with yourself and ask your family to be patient with you.
 
·         Under that you may feel frustrated, anxious or sad at the loss of some abilities.

·         Slow down, this can make it easier to remember or complete a task.

·         Learn more about MCI (I try to assist with my blog articles), share what you learn with those around you – by sharing this will enable them to have a better understanding of the changes that are affecting you.

·         Have a plan in place for your preferences when it comes to making decisions affecting your life.  Should the MCI progress to dementia this will help with future “Best Interest” choices.

·         Like me, with this blog, find a constructive way to release anger and frustration.

·         Exercise, now I rarely do not because I’m lazy but because I spend an amazing amount of time feeling tired and exhausted.  But exercise is a good way to reduce stress, contributes to your physical health and there are reported benefits of keeping the brain healthy.

·         Talk, with close friends or a counsellor.  Depending on your age consider joining a support group for people with memory loss.  The Alzheimer’s Association has support groups for those with early stage Alzheimer’s, including people with MCI – but as I found these group are geared for an older population not someone who’s in their 30’s.  It does help to talk to others going through the same experience, or one that is similar.

·         Encourage your friends and family to seek out counselling and support to meet their needs.

·         Participate in family events if you are able – and keep in touch with friends.

·         Use visible and/or accessible reminders.  Writing notes to yourself, or having a large calendar to track appointments can help.  Thanks to modern technology I also use the reminder and alarm function on my mobile to remind me of shopping lists or upcoming events.

·         Document your own story – your personal journey. I share mine with the world but you can simply use yours to reflect and share with those close to you.  I blog but you might like to create a scrapbook or keep a journal.

·         Keep your mind active – doing things you enjoy puzzles, reading the paper, music or even learn something new. I’m currently studying online for a diploma.

·         Join me and become an advocate, promote awareness about MCI, assist community groups in training staff and professional about MCI.

And finally –

Remember you are more than someone with MCI – celebrate you and the many varied personal attributes you possess.

No comments: